before your Move:
1. Choose move leader . . . someone with excellent communication
and organizational skills who has demonstrated good rapport with
2. Move leader chooses move team:
and office layout manager
New office furniture and equipment manager
Electrical, telephone and computer manager
Employee relocation manager
3. Designate target move-in date.
4. Place hold on ordering stationery and inventory without move
5. Track moving expenses - most are tax deductible.
6. Order telephone lines for new location.
7. Hire decorator.
8. Research moving companies. Professional moving companies
rely on recommendations and references. Check them out. Make
sure the company you choose is equipped and staffed to meet all
9. Get one set of blueprints of new office space for office
layout and space planning.
10. Get additional set of blueprints for electrical, computer,
and telephone location planning.
Months before your Move:
1. Give notice to current landlord, including exact moving day
2. Notify Telephone Company of exact moving day. Retain current
phone number or choose a new one. Request phone books at new
3. Get acquainted with new location. Contact Chamber of
Commerce. Investigate public transportation, parking, banks, and
business services. Prepare fact sheet for employees.
4. Order office signs.
5. Conduct moving sale.
6. Re-check insurance coverage on relocation of furniture and
7. Prepare press release and promotional materials.
Month before your Move:
1. Create printed moving announcements. Distribute to
customers, prospects, vendors, and associates three weeks before
2. Contact utility companies at current and new locations.
3. Order new office stationery.
4. Preview new offices.
5. Contact vending machine services, water, and coffee services
at both locations.
6. Schedule phone coverage during move.
7. Inventory all stock.
Week before your Move:
Each employee packs contents of his or her office,
labels boxes Fragile or Do Not Move,
Common area manager supervises packing of common area
Computer manager supervises careful packing of
computers, electronic equipment.
Pictures, mirrors and other easily broken items should
be wrapped in bubble pack or be moved in cards.
2. Make copies of new office keys.
3. Make maps to new location.
4. Hold pre-move company meeting.
5. Notify post office to forward mail.
6. Move safe deposit boxes.
7. Clear out storage lockers.
8. Defrost refrigerators.
9. Make signs for movers identifying placement areas at new
10. Last-minute confirmations: Phones, movers, landlord
inspection of old office.
11. Have all employees back-up their computer files.
1. Conduct moving day meeting with entire staff before movers
2. Have critical items on hand during move:
Extra keys to new office
Pens and paper
Laptop computer for employee e-mail
Extension cord/power strip
checkbook, petty cash
3. Clean old office for final inspection.
4. Tip movers.
1. Place "We've Moved" sign at old office.
2. Conduct "After the Move" party.
3. Change answer machine/voice mail message.
4. Recycle empty boxes.
5. Report damage claims.
6. Hold post-move company meeting.
7. Plan Open House to show off new facilities.